Subscribe to this Podcast:
In the last episode of season 2, Heather says goodbye (for now) to listeners, and lets you in on a little secret about what is coming up for season 3.
In this conversation, Heather and author Christina Edmondson discuss Christina’s work in anti-racism and diversity and inclusion. Christina brings up the value of affinity spaces, in allowing us to not feel “othered.”
Christina also discusses how social media is helping and hurting us in our cultural competence. Christina’s unique skill set in therapy as well as cross-cultural conversation, allows her to be uniquely skilled in how she discusses conversations around conflict resolution and confronting division.
Christina Edmondson holds a PhD in Counseling Psychology from Tennessee State University, an MS degree from the University of Rochester in Family Therapy, and a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology from Hampton University.
For over a decade, Christina has served in a variety of roles including recently as the Dean for Intercultural Student Development at Calvin University. Additionally, as a Certified Cultural Intelligence facilitator, public speaker, and mental health therapist, Christina is often contacted by churches to consult about leadership development, anti-racism, and mental health issues. She is the coauthor of Faithful Antiracism: Moving Past Talk to Systemic Change and Truth’s Table: Black Women’s Musings on Life, Love, and Liberation. Her writing has appeared in a variety of outlets, including Christianity Today, Essence.com, and Gospel Today magazine. She also co-hosts the critically acclaimed Truth’s Table podcast.
Mentioned in This Episode
Truth’s Table: Black Women’s Musings on Life, Love, and Liberation
Faithful Antiracism: Moving Past Talk to Systemic Change
Heather Thompson Day is an associate professor of communication at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. She is the author of eight books, including, I'll See You Tomorrow, releasing in October, and It’s Not Your Turn. Reach out to Heather on Twitter @HeatherTDay and on Instagram @heatherthompsonday.
Viral Jesus is a production of Christianity Today
Host and creator: Heather Thompson Day
Producer: Loren Joseph
Executive Producer: Ed Gilbreath
Director of CT Podcasts: Mike Cosper
Associate Producer of CT Podcasts: Azurae Phelps
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingNew York Shuts Down Embattled Olivet University CampusAfter a money laundering case and dozens of lawsuits, the Christian college founded by David Jang is under new scrutiny from Christian accreditors.
- From the MagazineLearning to Love Our Neighbor’s FearsWe aren’t all equally afraid of the same things. But Scripture’s wisdom can apply to all of us.
- Related‘Canceled’ John Crist Has a New Book, Tour, and Comedy SpecialThe Christian comic brings his downfall into his new releases, while victims say they’re still waiting for repentance.
- Editor's PickNative American Pastor Leads Southern Baptists to Decry Forced Conversions“Burdened and broken” by the federal investigation into Indian boarding schools, Mike Keahbone drafted the denomination’s first resolution in support of native peoples.